General Information

The Office of Student Life is located on the 2nd floor of the Student Commons, rooms 201-204.

The Office of Student Life is always available for either.  If they cannot help, they will direct you to the person who can. Student Life’s goal is to make your experience here at the Abbey an enjoyable one so suggestions are always welcome.

If you are a resident or a commuter student, you are permitted to have a car on campus. All vehicles must be registered with Campus Safety & Police so that you can receive the correct parking sticker. Belmont Abbey College has limited parking space and monitors parking lots.  Residential students have designated parking lots on the residential side of campus.  Belmont Abbey College expects everyone to follow the published parking guidelines as distributed at the beginning of each year which can be found here: Parking Regulations & Forms.


    • Currently, there are no transportation services that come to the campus which transport to Charlotte or surrounding areas.
    • Belmont Abbey does have a shuttle bus that runs between the main campus and Sacred Heart campus which is less than a mile away. View the Shuttle Schedule by clicking here.

Belmont Abbey takes the safety of our students very seriously. Statistics on our safety is available through the Cleary report and is published on our website. We take every precaution to ensure students feel safe at all times. Campus Police operates 24/7 and can respond to any inquiry or any escort assistance.

Belmont Abbey has a fully operational Police force with several sworn police officers and 2 security officers. You can learn about our campus police and safety precautions on our Campus Police & Safety pages of our website.

Belmont Abbey has an ATM located in the Student Commons.

Once residential students arrive on campus, they should stop and see the postmaster on the ground floor of the Student Commons and he will assign you your mailbox number. This mailbox will be yours until you graduate.

If your family or friends ask, “How do I send something to you?” simply tell them to address the mail to your name at 100 Belmont-Mount Holly Rd. Belmont, NC 28120. From there, the mailroom staff will make sure it gets to your specific mailbox. If you receive a parcel or box, there will be a slip inside your mailbox directing you to check with the postmaster: walk over to the window and receive the package.


It is not unusual for a student to come to college having already received counseling at home. Others may not have previous counseling experience but may have difficulty with transitioning to college or may have other issues or concerns arise while at college. In either of these circumstances, students and parents are advised to consult with Counseling Services to get information about the best options available. We can assess your child’s current needs and then link him or her with the most appropriate treatment option. Such options may include any of the following short-term individual counseling with Counseling Services and/or a referral to a qualified provider in the community. In any circumstance, parents are encouraged to offer continued support and involvement as this is often crucial to the well-being of the student.

  • If your daughter or son has a relationship with a therapist at home, she or he may want to continue that relationship and will need to make appropriate arrangements. Your child may need to be connected with a new therapist in the area. In addition, if your child is receiving treatment and medication management with a psychiatrist at home, it will be important to determine how to maintain that relationship during the academic year. The transition to college is a time when direct therapeutic support is especially valuable to students with previous psychological or psychiatric treatment. Counseling Services therefore recommends that families discuss with the student’s therapist and/or psychiatrist or other health care provider how this transition will best be handled.
  • If private insurance covers your child’s care, it is important that parents, students and the home therapist and/or psychiatrist work with that provider prior to beginning college in order to arrange for on-going care. Counseling Services strongly recommends that you and your daughter or son begin these preparations at least two months prior to arriving at college. Counseling Services can assist with resource information.
  • Homesickness is a normal response to separation from people, places and things that give you a sense of belonging. Most people experience homesickness at some point in their lives; relocation for new job, starting college, or studying abroad.
  • If your son/daughter should become homesick let them know that it is normal.  They are not inadequate, it does pass, and there are some things they can do which may help them get through some of those “sad and lonely feelings”.
  • For example, it may be helpful to suggest to your student:
    • Familiarize themselves with their new surroundings. Walk around. He/she will feel more in control if they know where buildings, classes, services are located.
    • Invite people to explore their new surroundings with them.  Making friends is a big step in alleviating homesickness.
    • Establish a routine as soon as possible. The fuller their days are, the less time they will have to feel homesick or lonely.
    • Examine your expectations. We’d all like to be popular, out-going, well-adjusted, but we’re not.
    • Don’t allow setting their goals too high or being a perfectionist create more trouble for them.
    • Learn to laugh at their mistakes.
    • Seek new opportunities. Seek out activities they are interested in where they might meet new people. Remember there are other people out there experiencing the same feelings that they are.
    • Keep in contact with family & friends. This can help them feel connected. It is also comforting to receive mail and know that they are missed. He/she may want to keep a journal as well. This can be a good way to get their feelings out rather than just ruminating about them.
  • Do something! Don’t wait for homesickness to go away by itself. Trying to ignore it only increases the chances that it will resurface as fatigue, a cold, or a headache. If he/she feels none of these efforts are working, they may want seek professional help. Call the Wellness Center at (704) 461-5081, and ask to meet with a counselor.